Thursday, June 18, 2009

Pedestrian Walkways

I have heard a lot of opinions about the new Broadway pedestrian walkway in Times Square. I have to say, I love it. It's a little thrown together right now with the big orange cones and lawn chairs, but I think it could become something really wonderful. I just read this great article in New York magazine about Department of Transportation Commissioner, Janette Sadik-Khan, whose idea it was in the first place. Her position is that New Yorkers are desperate for space and these public gathering spots will create a greater sense of community while allowing people to get out of their apartments and breathe. One of my favorite spots in NYC is Madison Square Park and right in front of it on 5th avenue is a pedestrian walkway. There are always people sitting at the tables or chatting with friends and I think if there was more of that in the city we'd all be better off. 

(Madison Square Pedestrian Walkway)
The Department of Transportation website also has a lot of details about creating more bike lanes, improving traffic flow in midtown, and the greening of NYC.  

1 comment: