Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Gay-Marriage Debate (debate!? really?)

So below I posted a song that Maddy Wyatt wrote for a benefit we did in July called Broadway Stands Up For Freedom for the NYCLU. Two years ago Maddy wrote a song about Barack Obama and we sang it at the NYCLU benefit and then he got elected. So I asked her to write a song about gay marriage hoping to achieve the same result. The song was a big hit, and you must check Maddy out because not only was she my college roommate for two years but she is a really wonderful songwriter and human being. I've done a lot of thinking about gay marriage and I'm a little conflicted. There is a big part of me that knows it is inevitable. Gay marriage will happen, it's just a matter of time. I get frustrated when I hear people say they are mad at Obama for not doing more on the issue. But my friend Joe sent me this article and it makes a good argument for why we need to make the push now. I don't agree with everything he says, but I love Dan Savage and I think it's good to expose yourself to other perspectives, especially from people who you respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment